Sunday, March 6, 2016

The World Breaks Everyone

I came across this quotation this week, and I loved it:


The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. 
-Ernest Hemingway

Sometimes I feel strong in my broken places. More often than not these days, in fact. Sometimes I still just feel broken. 


The quotation is a little different when read in full:


The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

-Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

As I read the quotation in it's entirety, it seems to be advocating breaking. If we are broken, we can heal, we can get strong again. But to do this we must first yield. 







No comments:

Post a Comment